The Alberni-Clayoquot region was founded on Forestry and Fishing, industries which for decades provided residents with well-paying jobs. Today, though, it's a different story. With these traditional industries in decline due to diminishing resources and economic factors, the Alberni-Clayoquot region is having to diversify its economy in order to stay afloat.
You can see this trend reflected in our monthly job postings. Most of the job ads in this region come from three fields, namely Sales/Service, Trades, and Health. Here are some reasons why:
- Due to the pleasant climate and natural beauty of the region, its communities -- particularly Tofino and Ucluelet -- are highly dependent on Tourism jobs. Opportunities in Retail (such as sales staff, cashiers or management), Food Services (cooks, dishwashers, servers), and Hospitality (front desk clerks, housekeeping staff) are among the most frequently advertised. The majority of these jobs are for the peak summer tourist season, but others may last year-round.
- A large number of people, many of them senior citizens, are moving into our area from other parts of BC and Canada. They are coming here to take advantage of Port Alberni's lower cost of living, mild climate, and affordable housing compared to neighbouring regions. These new residents need services such as retail, recreation, and restaurants, as well as health and social services, to support them in their new community.
- New residents mean increased construction, to support higher demand for both housing and services. New residential and commercial projects are popping up across the region, which spells jobs for tradespeople such as carpenters, roofers, and electricians.
The Highest-Demand Jobs in Alberni-Clayoquot
(according to job postings at the West Coast Career Centre and AVEC, 2004-2011)
- Registered Nurses
- Cooks and chefs
- Sales positions
- Housekeeping staff in hospitality
- Servers, bartenders
- Reception and clerical support
- Customer service
- Guest services in hospitality
- Dishwashers and other kitchen help
- Child care